Typography's Project II



24/10/18 - 31/10/18
(Week 09 - Week 10)
Fong Ee Xuan (0332842)
Typography
Project II - Font Design


LECTURE NOTES

Week 09
24/10/18

Mr Vinod briefed us about the project 2 and he told us what to do and how the format should be.

Week 10
31/10/18

Mr Vinod taught us how to generate our digitisation of font design in Adobe Illustrator to Font Lab


INSTRUSTION



PROJECT II

FONT DESIGN

Week 09 - Week 10

24/10/18 - 30/10/18

For this project, we have to design a limited number of western alphabets. We have to choose one of the fonts that have given by Mr Vinod to design our typeface using our initial name. We being this project by studying one of the fonts that given by using straight line and circle to construct it. The font that I choose is ITC Garamond Std Bold Condensed and the alphabet that I choose is "e".



Figure 2.0: Studying the font in Adobe Illustrator


Figure 2.1: Final outcome of it

After finish studying the font that we choose, we started sketching our own typeface by using the references with our initial name.


Figure 2.2: First attempt of sketches

Figure 2.3: Second attempt of sketches

Figure: 2.4: Final attempt of my sketches.

After changing few times of the sketches, we started digitalise it in Adobe Illustrator. In Adobe Illustrator, I changed some of the edger to make it look more smooth.

Figure 2.5: First attempt of digitisation 

Figure 2.6: Second attempt of digitisation 



Figure 2.7: Final attempt in Adobe illustrator 

Figure 2.8: Final outcome of font design in digitisation

Figure 2.9: Final outcome of font design in Thumbnail

After we finish our font design, Mr Vinod taught us how to generate our font design in FontLab so that we can use it on every where in our laptop.


Figure 2.10: Generate the font design at FontLab


Figure 2.11: Trying the font design that already generate.


FEEDBACK

Week 09

(24/10/18)

For my first sketches, Mr Vinod said that I am designing the font too much because the edger of the font shouldn't be too sharp and my "f" shouldn't curve too low because it might crush other alphabet such as "i". Mr Shamsul also give me some feedback about it. He said the design of the "e" should be same as other alphabet and for the "x" should be more contrast just like the references that I choose. After I changed, I shown it to Mr Vinod again and he said that I still design the font too much and he also told me the design of all those alphabet no need to be the same. Few minute later I show my three attempt of sketch to Mr Vinod and he said it is much better and he told me to start my digitisation.

For my first attempt of digitisation for font design, Mr Vinod give me some comment. He told me that the strokes of "e" should change because it have to start from think to thin and not from thin to thick. Besides that, Mr Vinod mentioned that I not need to design every part of "f', just some part of it will be fine. After I edited for few times I shown it to Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul again and they said it look good and the font design is almost there just the bottom strokes of "x" should be more straight just like the top.


REFLECTION

EXPERIENCES

Week 09 

(24/10/18)

I was amazed when Mr Vinod shown that the letters are made up of straight line and circle.

Week 10

(31/10/18)

I feel free and have more time to design my font design because our lecturer were having meetings at this week. At the same time, I feel losing direction when doing my project.

OBSERVATION

Week 09 

(24/10/18)

I noticed that fonts look nicer and great when it made up of straight line and circle. This is because we will have a guide line when we want to design a fonts.

Week 10 

(31/10/18)

I realised that is feel free when lecturer weren't here but also losing direction because I don't know how to continued the font design when didn't get any feedback from lecturer.

FINDINGS

Week 09 

(24/10/18)

I found out that understanding the strokes of the fonts is really important before designing the fonts.

Week 10 (31/10/18)

I found out that feedback is really important when I doing my project because feedback really can help me know what I need to be improve.


FURTHER READING

Week 09 - Week 10(24/09/19 - 31/10/18)

"Playing With Type: 50 Graphic Experiments For Exploring Typographic Design Principles" by McCormick & Lara

Figure 2.12: Cover of Book


This book is for someone who love type very much. In this book, it contains 50 experiments that will lead us about type through a hands on and creative approach. By reading this book, we can explore new areas, improve our type skills and also get inspired by it. The aim for this book is to let us think differently about typography. There are examples of project objectives that applied in industry work and also images of project results to shown us the principles of type.

There are six sections in this book which are letter and wordplay, project-based plat, alphabet plat, lettering play, plating with context and application and lastly playing with type with friends. We can randomly flip the book and choose an experiment to explore it. There are no order to the contents so that we can randomly choose by depending on our typographic mood. There are exercise in this book which came from different areas and at the bottom of each exercise page, there will give some direction to some similar exercise to let us explore more.

In this book, there is a contents that capture my attention so badly which is Alphabet Play. There are a  experiment are very interest which is "Found Letters in the Environment". In this experiments, we have to photography some element in the environment which represent the letter of the alphabet. Those letters can either be lower or uppercase and they cannot be a proper letters from signs, labels and so on. In this section, there are a example that done by a designer named Rhett Dashwood. Rhett Dashwood said that he have searched the Google Maps in Melboume, Australia for 9 months just to find the collection of landforms to make and alphabet.

It really inspired me because Rhett Dashwood have searched the Google Maps for 9 months just to find the collection of landforms to make and alphabet. It make me realised that there are typography around us in any where and it is just depends on how we look at it.


Figure 2.13: Page of " Found Letters in the Environment"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Korean 01's Assessments

Digital & Social Media Communication's Final Project

Digital & Social Media Communication's Project II